Sunday, April 20, 2008

Worship on the Fifth Sunday of Easter


I play in our church's handbell group, and lately we've been playing for both worship services on Sundays we play. The first service is the "traditional" one, and the second is the "blended" one. The first service has liturgy and hymns. The second service has a form of litugy, a hymn, and some songs.

My hymnal sat on the floor for most of the second service. Not that I was not participating, I just had little reason to use it. I used it for the hymn before the sermon and then during the sermon (which I had heard once already) I read some hymns. It was a sermon which, if run through the Issues, Etc. diagnostic, would not pass.

I was thinking during the closing song which the praise team was singing--I'd say leading, but few people sing because they don't know the music (words don't help if you can't find the tune)--that the harmonies were reminiscent of the soundtrack of Wicked, which I have been listening to frequently of late. I don't know about you, but I don't think music at church should make me want to sing "Loathing" or remind me of the Wicked Witch of the West.

The other thing I found strange was some of the words to the closing song said, "May the Child of God grow in you. . ." I know what point the composer was trying to get across, but it seems to me that whenever one talks of children growing in people, it has nothing to do with the increase of faith. This is why we need to strive for purity of doctrine. That, however, is another blog for another day.

No comments: