Monday, March 2, 2009

Says Who?

It came up again today: there are those who assert that the liturgy is too hard, too complex, too stodgy, too whatever for children to learn. There are problems with this assessment. Children can learn the liturgy, and the neglect thereof is a slippery slope.
I have heard the stories—the Lutheran school children are having field day at a local park and want to end with chapel. The pastor says, “We didn’t bring our hymnals.” No problem, the children can do Matins a cappella, and they do it flawlessly there in the park. Beyond the stories, I have seen and heard elementary school children pray and sing Matins. I have seen and heard high school students pray and sing Evening Prayer. To the naysayers I say that it can be done.
To neglect the teaching of the liturgy is to create a generation who do not know their past, nor are they building a connection to the historic church. For centuries the church has had liturgy. The Jews at the time of Jesus had a liturgy for Passover. The church at the time of Martin Luther had the propers and the ordinary of the mass in place. Why is this generation so bold as to think that the liturgy is now obsolete and we can invent something better, something more spiritual, something more entertaining than the liturgy? I guess this is no different than the baseball stadium which voted on a new song for the seventh inning stretch because “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” was passé and needed something better.
To neglect the teaching of the liturgy is to contribute to the “dumbing down” of America. We send our children the wrong message when we say that they are incapable of learning the liturgy. As we tell the children that they unable to learn it, they believe us. In years to come, they continue to believe they cannot learn it; therefore, they continue to make excuses for not learning it. It has begun to hit Lutheran colleges and seminaries where Lutheran pastors and teachers are formed; the students complain that chapel is dull because they are now expected to learn and do the liturgy, but it is too hard and too boring. They are merely repeating as adults what they were taught as children.
We also send our children the wrong message by implying there is no benefit in learning something so complex as the liturgy. Frankly, the liturgy is quite simple to learn; it merely takes practice. Could it be that the truth is that the adults have not the patience nor desire to take the time to practice and teach the liturgy? This attitude is reflected in the children who then make the connection that there is no benefit in learning what it is we do at church; therefore, it is of no benefit that we do church.
The liturgy is the framework of divine worship. To make it up as we go along is to move away from the understanding of what happens in the worship service. No longer is it what God does for us, it becomes what we do for God. To assert then that the learning or neglect of the liturgy is of no consequence is to move ourselves away from a Christ-centered focus to a self-centered focus. This is neither right nor safe.

3 comments:

Rev. Alan Kornacki, Jr. said...

I had the liturgy (p.15 of TLH) memorized by the time I was 8, and I was humming/mumbling the preface and the Words of Institution along with the pastor when I was younger than that. Granted, I didn't understand everything--but then again, I don't fully understand everything now after 4 years of seminary and nearly 9 years as a pastor. But I don't fully understand how the Sacraments work or how the Trinity works, but that doesn't mean I'm not edified by the Lord's Supper or that the Trinity's work doesn't affect me. I'd rather have my God and His gifts a little incomprehensible. After all, if I understand everything, that means God is only as wise as me . . . and no one wants that.

RPW said...

Very good points.

I went to a conference at another church in Fort Wayne a couple of months ago, and it was too crowded to open a hymnal. My six year old was perfectly able to keep up with the liturgy. It was the first time that I was really aware of the fact that she REALLY knew it.

My son sings in the seminary children's choir, and with an hour practice per week, he can chant Psalms and Introits, sing in Latin, and has developed a tremendous love for the liturgy.

When I was a kid in Lutheran school, our weekly Chapel was page 5 in TLH and then was DS2 in LW. No one really even questioned whether or not we could do it. If we couldn't find it or couldn't follow, we were to listen quietly until we figured it out. And we did...and when we did, we were proud of ourselves and excited.

I don't force the liturgy down my children's throats. We just do it, and when in the course of our devotions or at other times, I have a chance to explain the "why," I do.

chief said...

Agree with revalkorn - My lack of understanding of how my engine and fuel system works does not prevent me from driving it. Neither does my intimate knowledge of a pilot's qualifications prevent me from traveling on that aircraft to Honolulu and back.
Orianna - if you hadn't read my comment on one of your earlier articles, I'd love to hear what you have to say on my own blog www.jesusandclio.blogspot.com. It's for educators. You commented on an entry I left on Veith's website and I appreciated your insigts on Christian integration in education.
Chief