Saturday, August 9, 2008

Family Friendly

Hm, It's a toss up as to where to put this--here or Opus the First--but I'm going to put it here.

Apparently network TV likes sex, but not marriage, according to a news article. In addition to extra marital sex, network TV also likes to cross the line (I'm thinking Swingtown here).

If I watch the networks; I watch CSI (or one of the CSI family), Numb3rs, or the Unit (where did that show go anyway?). The focus of these shows are such that sex is not often brought in; however, I have noticed that some of the characters are engaged in sex, but not married or married to the person with which so engaged. In the CSI series, there are references to perversion when a crime is investigated. It seems as though some of it could be left out.

I understand the argument of the Parents Television Council. The influence of TV on children is a problem, and seeing such things or hearing them discussed can have a negative effect. I can also understand the argument of TV Watch. Legislating morality is exceedingly difficult. I'm not saying there shouldn't be laws; but having the government draw the line on how much is too much is quite tricky, especially since some of our legislators have personal troubles with morality (it all depends on how you define the word "is").

As Christians, where do we/should we stand? There's a fine line in these matters. If we legislate against TV sex, what can we do when our opponents legislate against Christian broadcasting? We should be speaking up for the right thing, however, It seems as though we need to have a grass-roots approach. I believe that education is more effective than legislation, for laws are made to be broken (so they say), but education is training people in the way they should go.

No comments: