Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Worship, HT Style


One conference down, two days of the second conference down, and two days left of this one plus one more conference to go.
I was invited by some Higher Things bigwigs (I mean that in the nicest way, guys) to stop by for worship, since there was a chair or two available. I enjoyed the HT conferences back in the day when we used to be chaperones. I felt as though I learned just as much as the high schoolers.
I stopped by for two worship services, Evening Prayer and Morning Prayer. It is amazing to hear hundreds of Lutheran high schoolers singing the liturgy. Those who truly believe that kids can't do the liturgy should stop in sometime and see how wrong they are. It was a glorious sound of singing the hymns and chanting the Psalm and praying the liturgy. It is truly beyond description.
I could go off on my soap box here, but why ruin the moment. Let's just suffice it to say two things. 1)Kids--teens-tweens-et al--can do whatever they are expected to do. Why not hold them to a significant standard? 2)For all the HT naysayers, may I point out that the students who went to HT conferences were more regular in their own worship attendance and more involved in the life of the church than many of the adults?

No comments: