Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vocation

I've been thinking much about vocation lately. I am having trouble putting into words what I continue to ponder. (Maybe this is why I can never get published--whoever heard of a writer that has trouble putting thoughts into words being successful?)
One thought that I come back to is why can't we as Christians just live our lives as Christians? I mean, overarching all, I am a Christian. Then I am whatever I am--parent, spouse, child, employee, teacher, student--and I am the best whatever I am living my life in Christ.
It seems to me that one does not have to be a "Bible thumper" on a street corner or an activist of a sort to be a solid witness of Christ to the world. We are to be light, reflecting Christ to the world. What kind of lamp sets the house ablaze with its light? That lamp would be called a defective fire hazard. We are to be salt, seasoning the world. What kind of salt is tolerated in heavy amounts? Sure, we can't hide our light under a basket, which is pointless; or leave our saltiness in the cupboard claiming a low-sodium diet. We need to be in the world sharing the Gospel of Jesus with those around us. Still I ask, do we need to do it in such a pushy, patronizing manner? It seems to me that I'd rather have a person see Christ in all I say and do by my saying and doing everything through Christ in my vocation rather than trying to convince them by my words only. (See what I mean about the putting into words?)
Maybe I should ponder more.

No comments: