Friday, October 31, 2008

The Reformation Post


On the one hand, it's nice to celebrate Reformation Day multiple times. On the other hand, I dislike having Reformation Sunday so far from Reformation Day. I really dislike the fact, too, that there is that other celebration which always covers up Reformation Day. You know--dress up and beg for candy day. Okay, now I'm sounding like a stodgy old coot who can't have fun. I like dressing up in costume. I don't mind handing out candy to the neighborhood kids (even though I'm not home half the time on Halloween). I just don't like Halloween supplanting one of my favorite festivals.

I like Reformation for many reasons. First, I'm Lutheran. If it weren't for that Reformation Day in 1517, I likely wouldn't be Lutheran now. Second, there's something wonderful about being a rebel in October. Autumn and revolution are in the air. . .
Maybe the Reformation has been a bit too romanticized. Picture Luther, a big, strong rabble-rouser nailing the theses to the door of the church. The people swoon at his brillance and flock to his side. The others rally around this brilliant, witty man and Germany is transformed, even if the Roman Catholic church is not, those papists them. Katie and Luther marry, and everyone lives happily every after. Uh. . . what do you mean that's not how it happened?

Luther trying to stand up for what is true and counter the false teachings of the church write some debate points. He puts his life on the line as the Pope and others place a death sentence on him. Many others did follow him and work to bring Christ and the Gospel back to a church which had all but left Christ and His cross behind. Wars begin over the church. Others try to follow Luther's lead, yet they lead ever farther from Christ. Even Katie and Luther struggle in life with deaths of their children. When Luther dies, Katie struggles to survive when those who admired her husband now neglect her and even want to take her surviving children from her. Guess it wasn't all peaches and cream.

Sometimes it seems as though we fight the Reformation all over again. Every new era has to have voices steering the church from its self-centered, law-oriented, Christless Christianity; and point it back to Christ and His cross. It is as I learned once in Germany: OhneKreuz, Keine Krone.

No comments: