Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The King and His Tenants


We've been going through Leviticus in Bible class on Wednesday mornings. I came into this particular study around chapter 18, and I felt I needed some more insight, so I borrowed my husband's Concordia Commentary on Leviticus by Dr. Kleinig and began taking notes before each class. [Does that make me thorough, an overachiever, or just plain nerdy?]

I am constantly amazed by what I have learned.

Over the past two classes we covered Leviticus 25 where it talks about the Sabbatical Year and the Year of Jubilee. This chapter shows the relationship between God and His people and the land. God is the landowner, the Israelites are the caretakers. As we discussed this today, it reminded me of the Gospel lesson a few weeks ago. Matthew 21: 33-46 contains the parable of the unfaithful tenants; a Bible story that I really like, especially how it is so closely connected to Isaiah 5:1-7. Today, I could really see why the Pharisees were so angry with Jesus over his parable of the tenants. People who know their Law of Moses would know they are tenants of God's land. The Pharisees got the point of the parable. It was very obvious.

God is the King, the benevolent, who loves His people deeply and give them everything. The people reject Him, their king, and kill His son Jesus. Yet Jesus is the one who pays for the rejection of the people by becoming rejected by God and crucified on a cross. Not just for the Pharisees, but for us.

What else can one say but wow?

No comments: