Thursday, November 13, 2008

Conference Thoughts

Being at conference makes me feel schizophrenic in the sense that I tend to have divided attention. I am divided between ideology and practicality; theology and reality. Not that any of these are mutually exclusive; it is just that trying to find the middle ground of application, juxtaposition and synthesis is very difficult a task.
Add to the above the experience of rubbing elbows with people you know, people you knew, people you really don’t want to run into, people you really want to run into, people who knew you when, and people who know you way too well.
All this adds up, at least for me, to an experience of reflection, learning, and growth. Some things about myself I don’t want to change, but know I must. Some things I must not change, but outside forces exert pressure on me to change. Then I look at vocation and realize it is not me but Christ. My growing in my skill is so that I can become better in my vocation so as to serve Christ’s people better. It’s making the connection that is the challenge; it is Christ in whom we trust.

No comments: