Saturday, November 1, 2008

For All the Saints

I used to brag about not not crying at movies and such silliness. Then it happened. . .in high school literature class that we watched the Masterpiece Theater production of A Tale of Two Cities. At the end when Sydney Carton is walking to the guillotine saying, "It is a far, far better thing that I do. . ." and quoting John 11:25, "I am the resurrection and the life." Just picture a flock of high school girls walking the halls betweeen classes sobbing. I believe this was my transformation into an emotional person who cries at movies, weddings, ordinations (really), and such.
I get emotional, especially at funerals. That is not too unusual, but I cry even if I don't know the person. Merely mention "Abide with Me" and I'm prematurely weeping. On All Saints' Day, it's even worse. There are a few hymns which always make me shed a tear or two. "Behold a Host" is one. "Jerusalem the Golden" is another. The last verse of my favorite hymn also makes me a little weepy. One of my favorite All Saints' Day hymns is "For All the Saints," and it always makes me cry. Let me state that my [in]ability to play it has nothing to do with the fact.
I've started to notice a pattern in this, however. When there is a hymn which talks about the church triumphant and being in God's eternal presence, I start to cry. Maybe as I get older I become more burdened by the weight of the struggle in the church militant and await eagerly the church triumphant.
As more people I know transfer their membership from the church militant to the church triumphant, it reminds me too of that cloud of witnesses which surrounds us. Those who have left earthly life and rejoice in God's presence. I think of their lives, and the influence they had on so many in this world. I think of their struggles and how they triumphed. Most importantly, I think of how it was not their life, but rather Christ's life, death, and resurrection which rescued their life and our lives from sin, death, and Satan.
On this All Saints' Day, I will get a little weepy, but ever hold fast to Christ's words: "I am the resurrection and the life."
[If you're wondering about the picture, this is the cemetary where many of my biological and church family members are buried. I think it is one of the best places a body could rest and await the last day.]

No comments: