Saturday, November 8, 2008

'Tis the Season

It's the day I wait for every November: the annual Concordia Publishing House sale, the sale where I can get cheap organ music. I mean, I can buy quality organ music at a discounted price--I suppose they don't make cheap organ music because why write music for cheap organs; likewise, those who wrote organ music that was cheap stopped writing organ music years ago and began writing praise choruses--but I digress.

After I finished in the discount tent, I did what probably every other person who attends the CPH sale does: I went into the store to see what I couldn't find outside. The store had much Advent and Christmas inventory out. Advent wreaths from classic to contemporary were out, along with nativity sets. As I was browsing, one nativity set caught my eye. It was a resin nativity, complete with most of the characters, as well as a picture frame. My first thought was, "Huh, a nativity picture frame, that's kind of cute." My second thought was, "Wait a minute. . . What does this say? Are we trying to upstage Jesus?"
What is the point of a picture frame in a nativity scene? Is it because Christmas today is a time for family and, for the nominally religious, the nostalgic rememberance of Baby Jesus that we have to blend the two concepts; thus shoving Jesus out of the manger and putting ourselves in?
I couldn't find an image of the one I saw in the store, but I found two others for sale, both equally distasteful as the original. The second had a description:

Nativity Scene Picture Frame is an inspirational gift of love. Nativity Scene Picture Frame features a 3-D Christmas tree with a nativity scene in the front and a Christmas scripture on the base. The Christmas scripture reads, "...A Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:11" The Christmas red picture frame fits snugly into the side of the 3-D Christmas tree with nativity scene and is held firmly by a magnet. Both the picture frame and Christmas tree with nativity scene can be displayed separately, too. This unique Nativity Scene Picture Frame for an inspirational Christmas gift will become a family
keepsake.

I suppose I shouldn't complain: At least they mentioned that Christ is the
Savior.

2 comments:

Scot K said...

Did you pick up your Treasury of Daily Prayer while you were in the bookstore?

Orianna Laun said...

Unfortunately, no, I didn't. I'm the only kid on the block who doesn't have one yet!