Monday, June 30, 2008

The Shirt


While dining at a local establishment, I noticed a man wearing a black t-shirt which had a logo on the front similar to this one (the church was white instead). The wording above it said, "Don't go to church." I knew there had to be more to the story, so I waited to see the back of the shirt. The back of the shirt read, "Be the church." Beneath that it gave a website: http://www.jhchurch.org/. I did check out the website later. It is, as you may have guessed, Jefferson Hills "don't mention we're Lutheran" Church. Caveat emptor--don't go there if you're eating. It's rather like eating spaghetti and watching CSI at the same time--only if you have a strong stomach.

The shirt was a true t-shirt marketing ploy. Have a shocking statement on the front, explain it on the back, and give them a place to go for more information. In that case, it worked and didn't work. I went to the website, but I will never explore them any farther.

As my husband and I ate, the man and his dining companions left, they walked past our table. A lady at the table across from us also noticed the shirt and stated, "The church is the people." Unfortunately, at that point, "I am the Church" irksomely ran through my head. My husband's voice cut through the campy cerebreoredundogram, or as the Germans call it "ear worm", and he reminded me that the shirt (and the lady) was wrong.

A small portion from Luther's Small Catechism:
"The holy Christian Church is the communion of saints, that is, the whole number of believers in Christ; for all believers, and only believers are members of this Church." and "This holy Christian Church is to be found wherever the Gospel is in use; for according to God's promise His Word shall not be preached in vain."

Where do we find the Gospel? In word and sacrament. Where do we find word and sacrament? In church. So how can a person be the church if they're not in church?

Assessment: the t-shirt marketing ploy was a false advertisement.

No comments: